Thursday, February 22, 2007

Oh, the Slings and Arrows

So, I received a request for a full by an agent (WAHOO!). She just finished it and said that "though i am a strong writer," she's going to pass (BUMMERIA!!!). She prefers that i take out a huge chunk of it and develop other storylines--basically do a major rewrite.

And, well, i'm not interested in doing a major rewrite. I think for my own mental health, i should move onto a new novel. Something fresh. You cant spend your life on one novel, one story, one argument. You'll just go insane that way. Maybe at some point (if the novel doesnt sell on its own merits), i will consider rewriting (after the requisite 5 year distance).

At any rate, i cant help but feel disappointed and deflated. What a bummer. Is this what i have to look forward to? It makes me not want to bother with the whole query process and jump straight back into the next project.

Okay, i'm going to go drown my sorrows in some Indian buffet.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Citygirl said...

Sorry to hear about that! I'm sure all you need is some distance from the project. I'd say, since you just finished a major piece, take some time to just work on some ideas you'd like to flesh out eventually. That way when you need a break you'll have a few different things you can work on. I keep a list of different story ideas and references for them in my email's notebook so I can get to them anywhere.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home